Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Unmovable, the Ignorant, and the Rude.

      I often hear from people that I come off cold or bitchy. I have to assume this is because I don’t put on an act for people. I won’t ask how you are if I don’t care because I don’t think about it because, well, I don’t care. Conversely, if I do ask you know that I really care. It’s funny how in our society I am considered a rude person for not wanting to have conversations with every single person I come in contact with all day every day but I seem to abide by more common curtesy rules than everyone else. To me it is the people that choose to ignore these unwritten common sense rules that are the callow. 
     For instance, there are the people who walk down the side walk two or three people wide and don’t move into single file when a person coming the opposite direction passes. Once a girl told me that while she was walking on campus and there was a group of immovables coming towards her she would lock her arms, stiffen her body, bury her head down looking at her cel-phone and just barge through them. I applaud her bold move to stand her ground. 
     While waiting on a table at work the other night, I had a tray full of drinks in my left hand. I was standing still and girl ran into me from behind knocking all my drinks over, spilling off my tray and onto one of the guests at my table. All of her friends laughed, as if something so rude could be funny and then she said “Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t see you.” No, I don’t believe that. I believe she didn’t want to see me. I was so angry I had a raging fire in my eyes and I turned and looked at her and said “Standing her?!?! You didn’t see me STANDING here?” She didn’t just bump me, she ran into me hard and hard enough to knock over a tray full of drinks. Costing me time, the bar money, and the guy in front of me comfort, for the moment.  
     Wake up people, this is life. This isn’t a game this is REAL life. Things happen. Things YOU do will cause a chain reaction and people don’t pay attention when they are doing something as simple as walking! Why can’t people simply think before they act and put slightly more effort into awareness. 
     What about the woman who blatantly cut in front of me at the movie theatre and acted as if she didn’t know? You don’t cut in a line without knowing. This isn’t second grade ma’am, your well over 40 so learn how to stand in line and wait like the rest of us. Or the woman that came into a movie 15 minutes late and then asked me to move so her group could sit together. Let’s see I got here 20 minutes early, picked out my seat and have my drink and popcorn situated and you want me to move. How rude, why can’t your group break up? If you wanted to sit together so badly, you would have made it on time. 
     There are people who talk down to me constantly because I am just a waitress. I don’t suppose they remember that to me they are just a customer. What gives you the right to be rude to me simply because I am a waitress?
     Think about these things the next time you judge someone to be rude because they are probably less rude than you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment